A short Study Guide for exam #2
- Both Karl Marx and Emile Durkheim both speak about division of labor. ( Ideas are opposing)
- Karl Marx’s idea of division of labor:
- In division of labor we see two opposing forces. Throughout history there has been class struggle.
- Marx sees the tension between the oppressed and oppressor. (Not a good thing)
- Not stating that capitalism is bad but rather there needs to be a revolution.
- Durkheim’s idea of division of labor:
- Division of labor creates individuality, specialization and hierarchy
- Equilibrium necessary for society. (sees this as a good thing)
- For Durkheim civilization is a byproduct of increased organic solidarity.
- Solidarity: cohesion, unity
- Two solidarity: Organic (depends on societal parts, division of labor)& Mechanic (collective conscious, born into society with certain roles.)
- Durkheim- society not oppressive, natural occurrence needed to balance society
- capitalism is an organic solidarity of structure that works for society as a whole.
(FEEL FREE TO ADD ON)